Fitness trackers are becoming more and more popular as people look for ways to become healthier and more active. While there are a variety of different features that these devices offer, one question that often comes up is whether or not any of them measure blood pressure.
The short answer is that there are some fitness trackers on the market that do have this feature. However, it is important to keep in mind that the accuracy of these readings can vary depending on the specific device.
In addition, blood pressure can fluctuate throughout the day, so it is best to take multiple readings over the course of a day to get an accurate picture. If you are looking for a fitness tracker that measures blood pressure, doing some research to find a device that meets your needs is a good place to start.
How Does a Fitness Tracker Measure Blood Pressure?
A fitness tracker is a wearable device that tracks and monitors your physical activity and fitness levels. Many fitness trackers also have the ability to measure other health metrics, such as heart rate, blood pressure, and sleep quality. Because blood pressure is one of the most important indicators of heart health, it’s always advisable to keep track of your own.
- There are a few different ways that fitness trackers measure blood pressure. The most common method is to use an optical sensor, which uses light to detect changes in blood flow. The optical sensor is usually located on the back of the tracker, and it shines light into the skin to measure changes in blood pressure.
- The second method is to use a piezoelectric sensor, which measures vibrations caused by blood flow. This type of sensor is usually located on the wrist, and it uses vibrations to detect changes in blood pressure. While both methods are effective, optical sensors are generally considered to be more accurate.
- Fitbit has been working with something called Pulse Arrival Time, that could change the way fitness trackers get a bp reading, according to Fitbit.
While these readings may not be as accurate as those taken by a medical professional, they can still give you a good idea of your cardiovascular health over time. If you’re interested in tracking your blood pressure with a fitness tracker, look for one that includes this feature.
How to Take Your Blood Pressure with a Fitness Tracker?
The newest and best blood pressure fitness trackers can get a pretty accurate blood pressure just about any time to ask for it. However, I’ve found that the most accurate reading still come when you’ve stopped what you’re doing, and sit down for a few minutes. Unless of course, you’re interested in your bp when you’re exercising or maybe running.
To get an accurate reading comparable to what it will be in a physicians office, try these steps:
- Sit comfortably with your feet on the floor.
- Press the button or whatever accuates your particular tracker.
- Place the hand with the fitness tracker or wrist blood tracker palm down on your chest with the monitor itself close to your heart. (In the center of your chest, just below your sternum)
- Keep still until the reading is taken.
How to Test the Accuracy of a Blood Pressure Monitor?
Most fitness trackers on the market these days come with a built-in blood pressure monitor. This can be a handy feature for tracking your workout intensity and keeping an eye on your overall health. But how accurate are these devices?
There is no easy answer to this question, as accuracy can vary depending on the individual fitness tracker and the person using it. However, there are some general tips you can follow to help ensure you are getting accurate readings from your fitness tracker blood pressure monitor.
- Be sure to follow the instructions that come with your device. This will help to ensure that you are using it correctly and getting accurate readings.
- Take multiple readings throughout the day and compare them to see if there are any consistent discrepancies.
- The most reliable method to test its accuracy is to take it with you when you visit a health care provider. Have them take your blood pressure with a blood pressure cuff, and immediately compare the results.
Pros and Cons of Fitness Trackers that Measure BP Readings
- Measure and keep up with your blood pressure anytime without seeing a healthcare provider.
- It is very simple and easy to take your BP readings.
- Fitness trackers are pretty inexpensive these days, making them affordable for most people.
- They can keep you motivated to stay healthy and know your readings.
- Most of these gadgets now are capable of syncing with a smart phone for many more cardiovascular readings.
- The only way to know if yours is accurate is to check it against a physican’s blood pressure monitor.
- I don’t know of any other reasons to put off owning your own fitness tracker that measures blood pressure.
Popular Fitness Trackers that Measure Blood Pressure
Fitness trackers are definitely keeping up with the times and pushing for the most modern technologies. That means that just about all manufacturers are jumping on the bandwagon to measure blood pressure. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean they are all accurate, and it seems that a higher price point doesn’t guarantee better results.
With that in mind, I’ve listed a few of the most popular options on Amazon with good reviews at this time:
- AMAZTIM Smart Watches
- FITVII Fitness Tracker with Heart Rate and Blood Pressure Monitor
- DoSmarter Fitness Tracker for Women, Heart Rate Blood Pressure Monitor Activity Tracker